Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lions and leopards and zebras, oh my!

Well, me and TC managed to successfully go on safari and not get eaten by lions! To be honest, I wasn't all that worried, but multiple people told me to avoid it, so I thought maybe they knew something I didn't!

The safari was excellent, not that I've been on any other ones, but that's besides the point. We saw 4 of the "big 5" (lions, buffalo, leopards and elephants but no rhinos) as well as zebras, dikdiks (I'm not making that up), warthogs, impalas, hippos, hyenas and giraffes.

First we headed to Tsavo West National Park where we spent the night. The hotel had a watering hole, conveniently located just outside the terrace bar, that during our visit was visited by over a half dozen elephants, and a hyena and a creepy looking bird called a Marabou Stork.   After an early game drive in Tsavo West including a trip to Mzima Springs, we headed to Tsavo East National Park for some flatter terrain.

Our hotel in Tsavo East was the Voi Wilderness Lodge, a fairly elaborate affair with a watering hole (shocking I know) that attracted an elephant, a lion and a pretty playful hippo. We were lucky to get to see two female lions out in the park the first day and a male out on the prowl the second.

All in all, it was a pretty incredible time.

No comments:

Post a Comment